Travel Fund Request
The Department of Dance provides travel funds to support the technical development of its students, to encourage professional networking and to increase the visibility of the department in the national and international sphere.
Up to $500 may be awarded for the following activities:
- Support for students to participate in regional, national or international workshops or festivals.
- Students invited to perform or present papers at other regional, national, or international venues for dance or dance history.
- Students attending a national conference when serving as elected officers of a related regional or national organization.
Note: This fund does not cover participation in study abroad, study programs such as internships, or other travel activities undertaken as part of course requirements.
Students must be dance majors. Students may be awarded travel funds only once per academic year.
April 12th, 2018 at 5pm
Funding is limited. Therefore, only transportation, hotel and/or registration fees will be considered. Meals are NOT covered for reimbursement. When awarded, the student will work with their department to arrange travel. All additional receipts for expenditures must be submitted to the department within two weeks of completion of travel.
- Complete the attached Student Travel Request form (Word doc) and have it signed by your advisor.
- Attach a one-page, single-spaced narrative describing your participation in the workshop, festival or event and its significance to you. Indicate any potential outcomes (i.e., publication, future presentations or performances, future showings, etc.) that may result from your travel.
- Include a copy of the invitation to present or perform, if applicable.
- Provide documentation of expected travel costs. For example, you could provide a printout from an online travel resource that identifies flight costs and/or lodging costs. A photocopy of conference materials showing registration fees would be another way of documenting travel expenses.
- Complete a signed W9 and return it to the dance department along with your application.
- Deliver the completed application package to Patricia Baudino, Department of Dance, 1301 Robinson, Room 251, Lawrence, KS 66045, by 5:00 pm on April 14th, 2017.
Review Procedures and Criteria
The proposals will be reviewed for eligibility by the Administrative Associate for the Department of Dance, then the dance faculty will rank the proposals and recommend awards based on the eligibility of funds according to the following criteria:
Significance (up to 60 points)
- What is the importance of the conference, performance, or event to the student’s professional development?
- Will participation at the conference, performance, or event lead to significant artistic or scholarly achievement?
- Will the travel contribute to the visibility and reputation of the Department of Dance at the University of Kansas?
Quality of the proposal (up to 40 points)
- Is the proposal complete with all requested supporting information?
- Is it well written with clear explanations of the importance of the travel to the students’ professional development?
Eligibility of the student
- Is the student currently enrolled as a dance major?
- Does the student’s academic record indicate success and seriousness as revealed by their GPA and their selection of coursework?
Questions regarding the above procedures should be directed to the Department of Dance Office at 785-864-4264.