UDC Auditions - Frequently Asked Questions
Who can audition?
Any student enrolled full-time at the University of Kansas may audition for UDC. You must be enrolled in a technique class in order to be a member of UDC.
What is the audition process like?
Plan to arrive approximately 15 minutes prior to the audition time in order to sign-in and stretch prior to beginning their audition. The audition consists of a master class in ballet, modern, jazz and any other forms featured in the concert. You should take the entire class, even if you are not trained in a specific form. It is not required to perform a solo piece.
What should I wear?
Tights and leotards always work. You may also wear body-skimming clothing like yoga pants. Please do not wear bra tops and shorts. Bring pointe shoes, ballet slippers, jazz shoes, etc. if you have them. You may or may not use them, depending on the choreographers who are casting for the concert. Hair should be pulled up or back. No jewelry.
How do I know if I made it into the company?
Choreographers cast for pieces immediately following the audition on Thursday. On the following Friday morning, the UDC cast is posted on the bulletin board in the Dance Wing and sent to enrolled students via email. An orientation meeting is also held on Friday (time announced during the audition), where individual casts and rehearsal times will be announced and more detailed information is provided by the choreographers and UDC Officers.
Should I enroll in DANC 320: University Dance Company?
BA students are required to take 2 semesters of DANC 320 (2 credit hours) for graduation; BFA students are required to take 4 semesters (4 credit hours). Non-majors may take the course for elective credit. However, if you have fulfilled your requirements for your degree, you are not required to enroll and may participate as a member of the student group. Although UDC as a course is scheduled at a specific time, rehearsals for each work will be at various evening and weekend times.
Is there a cost?
Members are expected to pay a $10 membership fee to the UDC student organization, and sign a membership contract. This fee will cover food and beverages for social events and help to subsidize choreographer gifts.
If I am accepted into the company, what are my obligations as a University Dance Company Member?
All UDC members are expected to:
- Enroll in at least one technique class for the semester in which you are a member.
- Sign a contract agreeing to the bylaws set forth by University Dance Company.
- Pay the $10 membership fee.
- Members are encouraged to enroll in DANC-320: University Dance Company through ‘Enroll and Pay’ for either 0 or 1 credit hour.
- Attend ALL scheduled rehearsals for designated piece(s).
- Warm-up for rehearsal and be ready to start at scheduled rehearsal times.
- Members will be released from a piece after two absences or four tardy arrivals at the discretion of the choreographer.
- Exhibit proper classroom and rehearsal etiquette and put forth a positive image for the company.
- Participate in marketing efforts including social media and delivering posters to public bulletin boards.
- Participate in company class prior to the start of each UDC performance.
- Participate in strike after the final UDC concert.